The price of Catharsis
When I first heard the word catharsis, it just sounded like another fancy word people throw around in writing to sound smart. The more I thought about it throughout the week, the more I realized how common it actually is. From the random Instagram reel I see at 2 a.m. telling me to lock in, to the music I’m listening to at 1 a.m. while trying to finish the homework I procrastinated on, the idea of catharsis has been tied to almost everything I do.
Twenty minutes ago, when I saw the Lions stuck on the one-yard line at fourth down and watched Monty rush through to score a touchdown, that mix of nervousness and excitement I felt as he crossed the line was a form of catharsis. This past week, when I was pushing deadlines and trying to finish everything I had due, the music that kept me awake at one in the morning and gave me a sense of urgency was catharsis too. Everything I consume online has some kind of catharsis built into it. What I find interesting, though, is how it’s been monetized.
Most companies take advantage of catharsis as a kind of “mind control” over consumers. Right after Monty scored that touchdown, an ad for Bud Light appeared on the screen, filled with cheering football fans. While I didn’t feel anything—because I am obviously not an alcoholic—those who drink beer during games probably felt the same emotions I did during that touchdown and were drawn to Bud Light because of it. These subtle uses of emotion end up generating huge amounts of revenue through brand loyalty and consumer engagement. That’s why catharsis is everywhere. It’s not just about emotion anymore; it’s about money.
Wow Advik! I never realized how much catharsis is actually relevant in my life. I really liked the Lions example with the bud light and how it clearly connected with what you had to say, while also giving a perspective that may be relatable to some people (not us of course, were high schoolers). Overall, I really liked your blog! Good job!
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you connected the definition of one word into many other things. As someone who can relate to the 2 am instagram reels and late night homework sessions I never realized how that could be a form of catharsis. I also loved how you took on another perspective and connected it to branding. I thought that was a very interesting take of the word catharsis.
ReplyDelete