Labels???????????????????????

 Taking that first step into the committee, I was already unconsciously scanning  every delegate in the room, trying to scan who the best delegates would be. I was able to classify who they were by several factors: where they sat, how much they networked, and their overall vibe. Ms. Valentino I promise Noah and I are not copying each other, our topics are just very very similar. 

The most shocking thing to me was how the whole committee of 320 members naturally adopted these labels and conformed to them, especially when it came to their overall vibe. The funniest to me was how the 6’6 tall guys were just able to naturally command and push all those in their bloc around without actually doing anything (no hate). When it came to deciding bloc leaders, everyone realized these types of delegates did not truly contribute that much to the paper, yet they all unanimously banded together to vote for them. 

However, the biggest thing I took away was that rather than fighting against these labels those who succeeded the most were the ones to play into their labels and use it to their advantage. My unconscious marking allowed those members to put themselves ahead, but by thinking how others may mark me I was able to develop my own strategy. 


I was able to understand that naturally not being the tallest I would not be able to command naturally and had to slowly build my rapport. I had to slowly become friends with every member of my bloc and show my leadership through the work and initiative I took. When it came time to elect leaders, this played out well and all those I treated like friends and saw my work voted for me to be one of the leaders.


Ps. Noah kwok you are a top tier human being other than the fact you probably got Sarah and I sick. I will miss rooming with you for mun trips twin.

Dream Team


Comments

  1. What a wonderful blog Advik Tatavarihi, I can see you put your blood sweat and tears, even sacrificing your lunch time, to write this blog. You made some wonderful comments about labels and connecting them to your own personal life, you even stole some words from my mouth (literally).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anything for extra credit

What is Gatsby even about?

What's your LinkedIn????