College?????????????
Working through the argumentative prompt about if a college degree was worth it felt weird to me. As someone who is planning on going to college and getting a degree in an economics related field, when I used this same economic reasoning that I’ve been learning, everything pointed to not getting a college degree. These basic models of supply and demand on the very generic level make it seem like a college degree is not worth it in any sense. It was so obvious that it made the most sense to write my essay on and it came naturally to me in fact.
Later that day I thought about what I was missing through my economic reasoning and realized it was all about perspective. The generic models we are taught all look at everything on a macro scale of everyone. However, such models fail to provide an accurate representation of the true job markets for specific fields that truly showcase the difference between someone with a college degree and someone without a college degree.
Something I noticed was that there was a surplus overall for a field like tech jobs bringing those wages down, yet online you can always see the huge salaries people who work in tech make. However, if you truly take advantage of your college education and learn everything, you can join a new market of employees looking for a job, which are typically in a shortage. These are the types of education that outsourcing labor cannot replace. Making such a decision changes every aspect of the economic reasoning you need to make based on the field and the initiative the student takes.
This is something that really resonates with me as it's something that I was thinking about as well. Especially with how college degrees are an item of debate at the moment, especially regarding the development of new tech and how it impacts job opportunities
ReplyDeleteThis is an incredibly insightful blog and I like how you connected college to many important economic principles. However, I believe that if you dive deeper into the aggregate supply of the college market, you may find even more intriguing patterns. Overall, I like the connection to college - something that we all worry about these days.
ReplyDeleteI liked how you wove economic ideas throughout your blog. Although, it would be cool if you implemented something like an ad-AS curve to further explain your ideas. This essay prompt had a lot to do with decision-making when it came to college, and economics obviously connects very deeply to that (since econ is the science of decision-making)
ReplyDeleteWow this is such an insightful blog. I like how you realized that there was a whole new perspective to how the economy works around college degrees. It truly does look like you are very very skilled in the economics field. Awesome blog advik!
ReplyDeleteThis is a thoughtful reflection with a clear personal voice, and your shift from basic economic models to a more nuanced, real-world perspective is engaging, logical, and shows strong critical thinking.
ReplyDelete