Macro or Micro?
In a tennis match, winning comes from dozens of small points that eventually add up.In high school tennis, a win can take as few as 48 points but can go as far as 150 points. That’s more than triple, but either way, stressing over every single one doesn’t make sense. If your opponent hits an insane shot past you that you can’t do anything about, he still needs to win at least 47 more points. Whenever I play tennis, I think about Roger Federer’s Dartmouth speech: “What percentage of the points do you think I won in my career? Only 54%.” Him being one of the greatest players of all time yet only winning every other point and still earning 20 Grand Slam titles shows the power of his mindset: “It’s only a point.”
Federer’s commencement speech at Dartmouth had one major goal: to have graduates understand that things will not always go their way, but what’s important is how they see the bigger picture and keep moving. On the other hand, David Foster Wallace’s This Is Water commencement asked graduates to notice life’s small, obvious details rather than running on autopilot. Wallace argues that meaning comes from paying close attention to the ordinary things we often ignore. But in life and in tennis, I don’t think this ideology always holds. In tennis, if every time I lost a point I truly slowed down, focused on it, and thought about it, I’d start overthinking every single shot I hit. The same applies in life. While it is important to look at small things deeply, it is more important to focus on the macro scale rather than the micro—whether the moments are good or bad. So rather than repeating Wallace’s reminder, “This is water,” I find a more realistic approach in Federer’s: “It’s just a point.” A perfect example of this in tennis is Carlos Alcaraz at the Roland Garros 2025 where he was down and all the odds were against him, but he didn't let past points get to him and he won.
I liked how you were able to connect something you enjoy with what we discussed in class. The mentality that life will go on is so important, especially during high school where students tend to be constantly stressed. I liked how you were also able to show that the most talented players also loose points but push through as well, great post!
ReplyDeleteI like how you connected Federer’s “it’s only a point” thinking with both life and tennis. The contrast with Wallace’s “This is water” also was good, showing that while noticing details is important, and sometimes stepping back on the bigger picture is healthier.
ReplyDeleteI really love how you connected a quote from a famous tennis player to the main point of This is Water. Not only that, but you seamlessly connected this quote into a daily aspect of your life, being tennis. Overall I found this blog to be really relatable to aspects of my life and I really enjoyed reading this blog! Good job!
ReplyDeleteYour passion and experience of tennis really shows throughout this blog. I enjoyed the connections you made with something you do out of school with the things we discuss in class. Most importantly I enjoyed how you pushed back on what Wallace said offering a different set of opinions.
ReplyDelete